Trinity United Church of Christ in Hanover, originally Trinity Reformed, was founded on Dec. 13, 1883 when 125 people signed a charter indicating their wish to become a new church. The Congregation was formally organized at a meeting held in Emmanuel Reformed Church. The first officers were elected, and arrangements were made to hold services in the old United Brethren Church, Abbotstown Street., now Broadway, in the low building which still stands across the street from Emmanuel Church. A search for a permanent location resulted in the purchase of the present day York St. location where operations began in the spring of 1884. The Chapel was dedicated Oct. 19, 1884 and on Sunday, Nov. 22, 1885 the church was dedicated. During the years the Chapel has been enlarged many times. The first exterior alterations of any consequence occurred in 1915 when, as a result of a storm, the lofty spire was damaged beyond repair.
Through the Years...
A picture taken in 1915 before the tornado which destroyed the giant spire.
A picture of Trinity UCC as it stood in 1963.
A 2017 picture of Trinity showing the progression of the church in recent years.